Thursday, May 8, 2014

Introductory to my Scottish Experience

Hi! My name is Tiffany Hockett and I am currently a sophomore exchange student at Robert Gordon University in Scotland. The Scotland exchange program is one of Columbia College’s newest exchanges which means lucky me got to be the first test run!
When I first arrived here in Scotland, it was almost daily that I was answering the question, “So why did you come to Aberdeen?” (Aberdeen being the city I am studying in) and it took me awhile to really figure out how to answer that question. Why did I come here?
Originally, I went to the Columbia College study abroad department because I was interested in doing an internship abroad. I was quickly informed that getting a visa just to work in another country would be difficult and would require a lot of time that I wasn’t sure I was willing to spend. If I was going to go abroad I wanted to go ASAP. Thankfully the Study Abroad department was quick to offer me more suggestions which included everything from volunteer work (yes, I looked at the Peace Corp) to being an exchange student. And that is when I was introduced to Scotland.
After weighing the pros and cons of each option I decided on Scotland for several reasons: 1. It was English speaking, unlike several other options, and I really like to talk so that was good. 2. The business school at Robert Gordon was top rated. 3. I got to be the first student from Columbia College to do it so it still sounded like an adventure to me!
So here I am! I made it all the way here! The rain is constant, the accents are strong, and the adventures are frequent. I am excited to share all of my experiences so please ask if you have any questions and thank you for reading.

Xxx Tiffany
0 Responses

Post a Comment

Subscribe to our feed