Friday, May 10, 2013

Buon giono! I'm still in Florence, but I thought I'd give an update on what I'm doing in case my parents aren't the only ones reading this. Yesterday we visited the Accademia, home of Michelangelo's David. And last night I went for a hike with some of our study abroad group and we wound our way across the Ponte Vecchio to the south side of the river, where the wealthy Italians live. We walked up past the Piazzale Michelangelo to the Basilica di San Miniato al Monte.


Here is a picture of the Ponte Vecchio. Although it doesn't look like it, we are walking across Florence's most famous bridge--famous for its gold and silver.


While walking, we passed the house where Galileo lived when he was in Florence.


One of the views on our walk.


The Basilica di San Miniato al Monte.


We stopped by the Piazzale Michelangelo on our way down. Here's me pinching the Duomo!


And this morning we climbed up all 463 steps of the Duomo. This picture gives you an idea of what that was like: steep and cramped.


But this view made it all worth it.


 After the Duomo, I visited the Laurentian Library, next to the Basilica di San Lorenzo, which I visited yesterday (sorry, no photos allowed).


Here's a close up of one of the old books in the library.


And some of the materials that were used to print books.



And, on a side note, here's a picture of a bracelet I bought in the market. The price started out at 24 euros, but I bartered it down to 7. Bartering is an interesting part of the market in Florence and one that I was uncomfortable with at first, since I'm used to shopping in stores where all prices are fixed. But here, bartering is expected. Just don't offend them by offering too little!



Ciao!

0 Responses

Post a Comment

Subscribe to our feed