Saturday, July 22, 2017

Lugano's culinary culture


Lugano is a lovely city with very unique cuisine. Some of Lugano's most famous dishes are polenta, a corn-based porridge, risotto, an Italian specialty very popular in Lugano, raclette, a cheese that is melted and poured over vegetables, and gelato, which is served everywhere. I had never heard of polenta or raclette before I lived in Lugano. I had had gelato but not the endless variety that Lugano is famous for. I had tried risotto, but it tasted nothing like it does in Lugano, where it is served from a giant cheese wheel and topped with fresh parmesan. I tried these dishes many times in many different settings and was impressed every time. Here are some pictures of Lugano’s famous food: 


Trying raclette for the first time for class


Local cheese and bread

Gorgonzola Polenta - I was slightly afraid of the appearance until I tried it and fell in love
If gelato was the only thing in Lugano, I would still go back for the gelato...



View of the Alps during lunchtime

Fresh fruit and vegetables at an outdoor market in Lugano


Eating freshly-made cheese on a Swiss farm with the class after watching the owners take us through the entire cheese-making process

Beautiful restaurants on the shores of Lake Lugano

Best spot for risotto
0 Responses

Post a Comment

Subscribe to our feed