Sunday, July 30, 2017

Salsa Dancing at Kent University


About as much as I love cycling, I love Latin dancing. Upon arrival in Canterbury, I tried to meet other people who love to dance as well. Within the first week, I was able to network enough to meet a dance teacher at Kent University, named Benny Ogidan, who manages the Kent Salsa Society along with other dance teachers. He invited me to a dance night at the University, and I had so much fun that I continued to dance with and take private lessons with members of this society. I learned so many new steps and styles of dancing, and I was even able to bring friends along with me who were new learners as well because the society splits levels of learners into different groups in a space reserved for this purpose on designated evenings.

Image may contain: one or more people, people dancing, crowd, wedding and indoor
The Salsa Dancing space at Kent University

Through this new network, I was able to get news on all of the popular Latin dancing nights in the city center. I also got a lot of advice on where to Latin dance in London and took a few trips there to dance with dancers from all over the world to the music of some of the most amazing live bands I have ever heard. Finally, from Benny I learned of famous Latin dancing festivals and congresses all over Europe, which I am very excited to attend someday soon. At these global festivals and congresses, you can learn styles of dance and steps popular in many different cultures, and you can practice with very experienced dancers. Dancing with people so skilled and passionate is demanding and can push a dancer to improve in a single weekend as much as they could in months.
This is a very particular niche. That I was able to network so much in the dancing world from within Canterbury shows just how eclectic of a place it really is, especially if you actively network.

Just in case you are interested in Salsa Dancing, here is a link you might find interesting (though it says 2012 in the URL, it is actually for 2017):

http://salsacircuit.com/2012-world-salsa-festivals-and-congresses/


0 Responses

Post a Comment

Subscribe to our feed