Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Luis Buñuel and an Andalousian Dog

One of the most revelatory courses I ever took as a student was the History of Experimental Film. I won't bore you with the details of the sensory overload that seemed to take place each and every week with films by Maya Deren, Michael Snow, Fernand Léger and others. One of the most harrowing and infamous films we screened was Luis Buñuel's 1929 collaboration with fellow Spainaird Salvador Dalí Un Chien Andalou (An Andalousian Dog). I will tell you up front, like my professor did, that Un Chien Andalou contains a very graphic shot of an eye and a razor. Enough said. Even now when doing an internet search on the film you will find countless stills of the moment preceding and during that. Even now, all these years later, I shiver and shake at the thought. But if you want to say you've seen a landmark of film history and experimental art check it out.

~ALD
0 Responses

Post a Comment

Subscribe to our feed