Monday, September 17, 2018

Getting Orientated

I arrived Saturday afternoon, had registration Sunday, and just began orientation today (Monday). It probably seems like rather a lot all at once, but I’m glad of it, because it keeps me busy. I think the bigger issue is having time. When I’m not busy, I start to feel more lonely and miss home, but, when I’m busy, I’m distracted and occupied. It’s been a good balance – not too much to be overwhelming and exhausting but not too little either. And, because I don’t have an overly pressing schedule this early, I can take my time to familiarize myself with the city and newness better, get more comfortable. 

I was nervous for orientation, because, in America, we have all sorts of wild events and games that I hate, but, here, it’s more calm and conducive to my introverted type. We have lots of free time to chat and get to know each other better. The events are more like social gatherings, so we go to different places – like the Student Center or a pub – where there are activities available, but they’re not pressed on you like in America. They’re available for you to join at your own will, and then you can meet more people like you. Otherwise, you can mingle and meet people that way. 

I think it’s a better system. I was more capable approaching people, and there was more opportunity to talk without disruption. There’s a lot of free time, so sometimes conversations got stilted and ran out, but that also helped us move on and meet more people and find more things to do together. It’s much more fun exploring the city with other people than alone – and it was safer. I used to wish I’d arrived earlier to travel to more of England and even the Continent, but I think it will be better, cheaper, and safer with others. It's still early and rough, but it's smoothing out better
0 Responses

Post a Comment

Subscribe to our feed