Monday, September 17, 2018

Humanity in the Hectic


I’m living with a host for the semester, but, two days before leaving, I found out that she wouldn’t be available to meet me at the airport or the station; I would have to arrange transport and meet her at the house. I’ve never traveled alone and never internationally, so I wasn’t really prepared.


The airports were manageable but, after landing in London and getting my passport stamped, I was a bit more frazzled. I wasn’t scared, really, and it wouldn’t have been so bad but for managing the large luggage bags. (I cursed myself for packing so much!) 

I was supposed to pick up pre-paid train tickets, but I couldn’t find the kiosk – they were all for buying new ones – and no one seemed to be able to help me. I’d walked a long ways down to the underground, was sent back up, sent in circles, and then directed back down again. I was so frustrated because I knew I could figure it out, but the luggage was weighing me down, and I was miserably sore. That was the beginning of a mildly hectic journey that was a bit rough but really made me appreciate humanity again. I work in retail, and it’s not just the angry customers but also the ones that lie, accuse, steal. I get cynical about the state of humanity, and then I was also cynical because of numerous warnings about pickpocketers, traffickers, etc. But, on my little journey, I found the best in humanity instead 
0 Responses

Post a Comment

Subscribe to our feed