Monday, September 17, 2018

The Comforts of Homestay

It’s my first time away from home, and it’s in an entirely new country for the next several months. I don’t know anyone, and I’ve only just arrived yesterday. I was feeling a bit low. People would probably say I’m homesick, lonely, overwhelmed, jet-lagged, and experiencing culture shock; I'm not sure.

Regardless, my hostess noticed I was a bit low – I’ve been in my room a lot, slept a lot, haven’t eaten – and she was lovely. She came and comforted me, and then she brought me up hot chocolate and a granola bar; I think she worried that I haven't been eating much. She gave me some time alone to sip the cocoa and eat, and then we began chatting when I took the mug downstairs to wash. She made me toast, which was sweet – the homestay really only provides breakfast. And we began talking a lot. 

We talked for an hour or more. She told me lots about herself, her family, pets, her one holiday 4 years ago to the Caribbean with her youngest Jessica (where they swam with stingrays in the ocean), her work and homestays. We talked about movies, music, and then books. She’s reading books from the same authoress I enjoy (Cathy Glass), and she showed me. She’s lent me a couple that I haven’t read plus another that’s similar and sounds good. I feel much better now. Maybe I was a bit lonely and homesick and overwhelmed – I don’t know – but I feel much better, and I’m very grateful to her
0 Responses

Post a Comment

Subscribe to our feed