Thursday, September 20, 2018

Japan

I arrived on Wednesday around lunchtime. I didn't get to my apartment here until almost 8 in the evening. By that time I was slightly grumpy. I had been in a plane for 21 hours and sitting in airports for an additional 12. I was exhausted and in desperate need of a shower and nap. I have since done both of those and feel better.

There have been so many firsts. I had never set foot in an airport before, much less flown, so that was an adventure. Turns out I don't mind flying. I slept most of the flights, although the sleep wasn't particularly restful. It was also the first time out of the country. There was a layover in Taipei, so now I've been in three countries. I had never seen the ocean either.

There are many differences that I've noticed in my almost 24 hours here. It is quieter. For being a city about the size of Columbia, I assumed there would be city sounds. The cars are quiet, there's no sounds of people talking when the window is open, even though many people walk or bike. My apartment sits between two auto repair shops and even they aren't loud. I find it odd. The trash here has to be separated in three ways, which will take some getting used to. The bathroom set up also is interesting. The toilet seat is heated which will be nice in the winter. The bath and shower are separate ,but in the same room. There is a sink and mirror in this room as well. To quote the meme, "I am confusion," but I'm enjoying observing and experiencing the differences.

I haven't gotten to do much exploring since it's raining today, but I look forward to that.
0 Responses

Post a Comment

Subscribe to our feed