Tuesday, September 25, 2018

The Wireless World Still Spins

Photo Credit: SeekLogo
Photo Credit: SketchRepo
Because it’s so expensive to use phone services internationally and getting an entirely new phone, SIM card, or phone number seemed unnecessary for a mere three months, we decided to shut off data use just rely on wifi, communicating via social media and apps like Slack and Whatsapp. The chargers over here are also different. I have an adapter, but I mostly use it at the house; I don’t travel with it. There are a few USB ports, and I have a handheld charger, but I still try to conserve as much phone energy as possible. So because of no data and because of battery preservation – my phone also has a relatively short battery life – I receive fewer notifications and spend less time on my phone. (Admittedly, I am still on it quite a bit; it is the 21st century). I still use my phone a lot, but I’m on it less, and I’m more efficient with it. I get on it because I actually need to use it.

I get so wrapped up and feel this compulsory, panic-inducing need to keep up, catch up, not miss a thing. But, when I have to turn it all off for a few days, I find the world keeps on spinning, and I’m still alive. It’s humbling and helps keep me on track – to take a step back and look at the big picture and remind myself of what really matters. It takes me out of myself while also reminding me who I am, without all the distractions and comparison and anxieties
0 Responses

Post a Comment

Subscribe to our feed