Thursday, September 13, 2018

The 3 Things I Will Miss Most

Tomorrow, I leave for England, to study at Canterbury Christ Church for a semester. I haven't been outside of the United States since I was a baby, and I've only flown on a plane one other time. I've never left home before, and now I'm going to travel to another country alone.

People ask me if I'm nervous, but, strangely enough, I'm really not, which is especially unusual for me, because I worry about everything. And I think the reason is that I haven't really been focusing on what's coming up as much as what I'm leaving behind - not in a sad way but appreciatively. They say you don't appreciate a good thing until it's gone, and maybe that's true, but I'm trying to appreciate right now. 

I made a little list of the 3 things I'll miss most when I'm gone. (I'll miss the people most - family and friends, especially - but everyone misses the people most, so I'm not listing them).

The weather. We've had amazing weather these past few days, and I live out in the country with a beautiful backyard. My mother is an amazing gardener, and we don't have the nuisance of city traffic, so I love sitting outside while working on things. I also love rain, though, so I think I'll enjoy drizzily, English weather.

Knitting. My mother taught me how to knit several years ago, and I recently began again. One of my favorite things is to knit with her while watching television. It's a soothing pastime that's very different from anything else I do. I just picked it up again, and now I'm setting it back down again just as quickly.

Our wood-burning stove. We have a cozy wood-burning stove downstairs, and one of my favorite things to do during winter is cuddling up by it with a cup of hot cocoa and a book (or homework, but that wasn't so fun). Or my mom and I would watch television on the couch with the fire going. I loved the cold outside, so I could snuggle by the warm fire.
Most people, including me sometimes, think that living at home during college is embarrassing and distasteful, but it's also something to be grateful for. I've shared some very special times with my family these past few years. I don't want to live at home forever - soon, I will move out - but I want to appreciate every part of it that's left. When I was a child, I was too anxious to grow up and be an adult. Now, I don't want to run away from adulthood and responsibility, but I also don't want to throw away what I have and be ungrateful. I will always be my parents' child, and they will always care for me
0 Responses

Post a Comment

Subscribe to our feed